Friday, February 11, 2011
Quinoa for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner!
Quinoa is great in savory dishes as well as sweet ones like this pudding. I've made a southwest quinoa dish with corn, tomatoes and beans that's really yummy. Throw in some shrimp or grilled chicken and you've got a complete meal in one dish.
Southwest Quinoa and Black Beans
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 can of whole kernel corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 C diced tomatoes
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and saute until lightly browned.
2. Add quinoa and vegetable broth to the onion mixture. Stir in cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Stir in corn, beans and tomatoes then simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
5. If desired, top with grilled chicken or shrimp before serving.
I listed this recipe on Homegrown Learners Wednesday Recipe Link up.