Grilled Pork Shoulder
1-2 lbs boneless or bone-in pork shoulder (do not remove the fat!)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
Mix seasonings in a small bowl then sprinkle on pork then rub spices into the meat with your hands. Let the meat set for a few minutes to absorb flavors. Heat grill to medium high, then add meat and grill until meat's internal temperature is about 160F. Use a meat thermometer to tell temperature. Let rest for a minute or 2 before cutting.
Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips
1 bunch kale
1/4 C olive oil
1/4 C vinegar
1 t salt
Preheat oven to 350F. Remove tough stems from kale then chop into 2 inch pieces. In a bowl or a zip lock bag, combine olive oil, vinegar and salt. Add kale and massage oil mixture into kale. Place on cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 20 minutes or until kale is crispy.
1T bacon grease or coconut oil
2-3 C sliced carrots
small bunch of kale
salt and pepper to taste
Slice carrots into disks and chop kale into 1 inch pieces. Heat bacon grease or coconut oil in a skillet. Saute carrots until they start to get caramelized. Add Kale, cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes until carrots are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
1 1/2 C almond flour
3 tsp cinnamon divided
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C coconut oil
2 Tbs maple syrup or honey
3 tsp vanilla extract
3 apples, peeled, cored then chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 C unsweetened apple sauce (I just blended my apple peelings with water to make this)
1. In one bowl combine flour, nutmeg, salt and 1 tsp of cinnamon. In another bowl combine oil, syrup/honey and vanilla. You may need to warm the coconut oil until it’s a liquid.
2. Stir wet ingredients into dry to make the topping.
3. Place apples in a 1-2 qt glass dish then sprinkle them with remaining cinnamon. Pour apple sauce on top of apples.
4. Crumble topping over apples.
5. Cover and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. When filling is bubbling up around crisp, remove cover and bake for another 5-8 minutes until crisp is golden.
Coconut Ice Cream
2 Cans full fat coconut milk
1/2 C Honey
2 T vanilla
Mix all ingredients then pour into an ice cream maker. Follow directions for your ice cream maker to harden the mix.
We used one of these camping ice cream maker contraptions to make ours. We put the kids to work, kicking the ball around before dinner. By the time it was meal time we had ice cream ready.