I've been hearing from even non-Paleo eaters lately, that they've been adding more protein to the start of their day with great success. Especially children, can benefit from a protein-rich breakfast rather than a sugar-filled one. Children with high protein breakfasts tend to have better concentration at school and less behavioral problems. And that makes sense, right? Filling our bodies with sugar before we try to go to school or work and think and get along with others just doesn't make much sense really. Also, considering that we eat breakfast 4-6 hours before lunch, having protein as a major part of that breakfast will keep us full longer than carbs will. Win-win!
So, now we're all convinced that protein is the way to go for breakfast foods, but what is there to eat other than eggs? Here's a list of my top 10 favorite breakfasts, in no particular order. What's your favorite breakfast food?
- Fried Eggs with olives and a side of sautéed greens (time to make: 10 minutes)
- Paleo pancakes (time to make: 30 minutes, but I usually have leftovers from the weekend in the fridge)
- Trail mix cereal - a few handfuls of nuts, a few prunes and almond milk (time to make: 5 minutes)
- Dinner leftovers (time to make: 2 minutes in the microwave)
- Muffins or scones (time to make: 45 minutes, make over the weekend and eat throughout the week)
- Paleo porridge (time to make: 20 minutes, make over the weekend and eat throughout the week)
- Pre-cooked bacon and fruit (time to make: 3 minutes in the toaster oven)
- Smoothie with banana, almond milk and almond butter (time to make: 5 minutes)
- Almond butter dipped apple slices (time to make: 5 minutes)
- Boiled eggs and fruit (time to make: 15 minutes, make over the weekend and eat throughout the week)