Bringing recipes over from Northwest Cavegirls. This one is from Cavegirl Kate.
Since becoming a cavegirl my family and I have bought, cooked and eaten ground bison/buffalo instead of ground beef. We all actually prefer the taste of buffalo compared to beef and check this out…
Benefits of Buffalo Meat are:
Source: Montana Buffalo Meat
- Fewer calories and less cholesterol than chicken or fish.
- 76% less fat than beef and 68% less fat than chicken, so you get more edible meat for your money.
- 35% more protein than beef so you can eat 1/3 less and still come away satisfied.
- Eating 5 oz. of buffalo, 3-4 times per week can help most people reduce LDL cholesterol 40-50% over a 6 month period.
- Can be used interchangeably with beef in most recipes, so enjoy all your favorite dishes made healthier - buffalo chili, buffalo lasagna, buffalo stew - the list is endless
This being said, dinner last night was buffalo chili made by my Caveman Dave (he goes by David but Caveman Dave has a ring to it, don’t you think? :)
Here’s what’s in it…
- 4/5 slices of organic bacon
- 1 large of Onions
- 2 tsps. of minced Garlic
- 2lbs of ground extra lean buffalo
- 2 cups of whole button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. of chili powder
- 1 tbsp. oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 can of Diced Organic Tomatoes
- 1 tsp. of Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped.
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- Fry bacon until some of the oil is released
- Add the onion and sauté.
- Add garlic and fry for a minute or two longer
- Add buffalo and fry until meat is browned
- Add remaining ingredients
- Cover and cook for an hour (stir every 20 mins to prevent sticking)
- 20 minutes before the end add the vinegar and cocoa powder.
- Add hot sauce, salt and pepper as desired.
This recipe is a favorite of ours and is made on a weekly basis. If you are a chili lover this is a “must make”!