Bringing over recipes from Northwest Cavegirls. This one is from Cavegirl Kate.
We are big fans of lasagna in this house and with the big Aiken house divide I needed to come up with a paleo version for the caveman hubby and his cave girls when I make my youngest occasional cave kids their favorite dish of mine, beef lasagna.
I found inspiration from Health-Bent.com in using butternut squash instead of pasta sheets. I created a very yummy meat-tastic tomato sauce and crumbled some sweet potato and beet chips on the top to add a little crunch to the finished dish.
Here's what's in it...
- 1lb (ish) of ground buffalo/bison
- 1 onion chopped small
- 2 Casual Gourmet Chicken Sausages with Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach (from Costco)
- 4 rashers of bacon chopped
- 1 jar of pasta sauce ( my favorite is Lucini Rustic Tomato and Basil)
- ½ a carton of chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- Splash of Worcestershire Sauce
- A few fresh basil leaves
- Splash of red wine
- Shake of pepper
- 1 small jar of roasted red peppers
- 1 small/med. butternut squash
- Handful of crumbled veggie chips (optional)
- sprinkle of dried mixed herbs
- sprinkle of dried sage
And the way I made it...
- Chop onion and fry with garlic, mixed herbs, bacon and sausage until the bacon is cooked and the onion is sautéed.
- Add the ground buffalo meat and cook.
- Drain any excess fat
- Add the roasted red peppers and stir in
- Add your preferred pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, splash of wine and Worcestershire Sauce
- Prepare the butternut squash and slice into even planks/sheets
- Layer your lasagna with the first layer being the sauce and ending in a sauce layer too. Be careful not to overlap the sheets.
- Top with a generous sprinkle of crumbled veggie chips
- Bake in the oven for 45 mins on 375 *F. Beets chips blacken when baked.
- Serve and enjoy!